Electricity has become so convenient in life that it’s easy to overlook electrical risks that may pose a severe threat to your safety. Without basic safety precautions, the significant risks of electricity at home, i.e., fire and electric shock, may be fatal. In the US alone, electrical problems lead to about 7% house fires and deaths. Although there’s always the possibility of sustaining severe burns in a fire caused by poor electrical safety in the home, asphyxiation is considerably more dangerous. Another significant electrical threat at home is electric shock, which can cause death due to heart failure and nerve damage.
Thus, having a good knowledge of the possible dangers of using electricity and identifying the common electrical hazards at home will go a long way toward keeping your family and property safe. So, here are five simple ways to prevent the terrible consequences of electrical hazards at home and ensure safety.
Avoid Using Electrical Cords for A Longer Duration
It is best not to consider the extension cords as the permanent power source. They can be great for temporary usage, but overuse may cause overheating. Eventually, this can either damage your device or cause a power surge. Instead, consider getting a power outlet installed for your safety. Also, make a note of the following points when using extension cords:
- The wire of the cords should never run under rugs or carpet or go across the furniture.
- Regular inspection of the electrical cords can help to make sure that they are not damaged or frayed.
- Use the extension cords only as a temporary source of power and get rid of the damaged cords.
- Never yank the cords out of the power socket. When you need to unplug it, always pull the plug first and not the cord.
Not to mention that the damaged electrical cords can pose a serious threat, like fire and electrocution, to your residential safety. So when you are using the extension cords, make sure to use the ones with a good surge protection feature, such as the nema 5-15r, and consider the electrical load that it will carry.
Always Keep the Electrical Appliances Dry
Water and electricity together can be a deadly combination that may even result in electrocution. This is one of the most common but essential tips you need to keep in mind to prevent an electrical hazard. Keep your electrical appliances away from moisture and water. Even the power outlets have to be kept dry. Water can even damage your appliances apart from causing electrical shocks.
If your electrical appliances or power outlets contact water, immediately shut off the main power supply before unplugging or retrieving the appliance. Also, get your devices checked thoroughly by a professional electrician to ensure that the appliance is still safe for use when it’s dry.
Never use the power tools in wet conditions to prevent personal injury and damage to electrical appliances. When operating them, make sure your hands are dry and avoid keeping the electrical equipment away from areas adjacent to water.
The Electrical Outlets Should Be Safe for Use
Having an electrical safety outlet cover can help reduce the electrical hazards at home, especially if you have children. This outlet covers ensure safety by preventing the kids from sticking their fingers into the power socket and causing severe injuries. If you are looking for a better solution, then you can replace the power outlets with the Tamper Resistant Receptacles that have now been set in place by the National Electric Code. It prevents electrical contact with any foreign object from safeguarding oneself against electric shock. Check for the loose plugs which may cause shocks or start a fire. Avoid overloading the power outlets with too many plugs and adaptors.
Avoid Overheating of the Appliances with Proper Air Ventilation
Due to the lack of proper air circulation, your electrical appliance may get overheated, causing an electric short circuit posing a danger to your residential property. So, it would be best if you made sure that the appliances have proper air ventilation and avoid running them in a closed space.
To ensure better safety, keep the flammable objects away from the appliances and electronics. For example, pay close attention to the electric dryers or gas by placing them at least a foot away from the wall for better functioning and safety.
Unplug the Power Appliances When Not in Use
One of the best ways to ensure electrical safety is to unplug the power appliances when they are not in use. This will save your bills and protect the equipment from getting overheated or a power surge. Nowadays, many intelligent electrical appliances can turn themselves off when not used for a long time. You can also control how and when these devices will perform or turn on. It will also give more control over energy usage.
So, these were some of the most essential tips to keep in mind to prevent electrical hazards at home. In case you suspect a fault in your residential wiring system, get it inspected by a professional electrician for your peace of mind and, most importantly, for the safety of your property and family.